Friday, July 29, 2011

Curtains

We're home from Michigan...but it is short lived. We leave on Sunday to go BACK to Timberwolf for Wyldlife camp (middle school kids).  Pray for us...we are exhausted.

Anyways, while John was working hard this month as a Work Crew boss...I tried to keep myself busy.  I brought my new sewing machine to camp (thanks for the inspiration, Bethany!) and made curtains for our bedroom.  For a while, I decided against curtains in the bedroom because we have those nice, thick, wooden, white blinds...but I had a vision for the window bench area of the bedroom.  I looked at patterned fabric that would go nicely with our duvet, but newsflash...fabric can get pricey!  I found curtain panels for 14 bucks at Marshalls....sold!  They were kind of thin, so I just bought blackout liners to sew onto the back.  

With the window being over the window bench, I had to hem them a lot.  I also decided that since it was such a skinny area...I could use one panel on each window in the bedroom and save some money.  So I split the panel hemmed those sides and then sewed on the liner.

I was kind of worried with how that the teal color would clash with our grey-blue walls..but it works perfectly with our duvet...so I'm pleased for now!  I plan to sew a window seat cushion and create some pillows (buying fabric for pillows will be much cheaper than buying fabric for curtains).  I love the grommet top, it's easy to open and shut so we can keep the sun out!  (Hint - black out liners also keep the heat out, which is nice for our house because it's so old.)

Voila! With the window seat cushion and some pillows...this will look nice and cozy!

2 comments:

  1. Omg you're so cute and domestic! I love it! Can't wait to see your face <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww shawna this is so great! i love the curtains and i love the ROOM. it's so inviting and so darling. i miss you. be well, and be in touch, pumpkin muffin! and keep blogging, pleasee!!

    ReplyDelete