Sunday, December 18, 2011

European Christmas Part I

For those of you that haven't heard, John and I were asked to be Work Staff bosses at a Young Life camp that is in Austria for kids from families in the military. The "camp" is actually in Innsbruck, Austria…it's in the village where the Olympics were hosted back in the 60's and 70's (I think…more on Austria when we actually get there in a few days!).  Anyways, the camp starts on Christmas day, and since we were flying over here we decided to lengthen the trip by making a few pit stops. First to London then to Paris.  

John and I left at 4 A.M on Friday morning and got to London at 10 pm.  We stayed with some of our Young Life friends Brooke and Tate Johnston and their kids Asher and Reuel.  They were AMAZING hosts.  They live about a 40 minute train ride outside of the city in a refinished, but authentic farm house.  So after we got there and chatted it up with them way past their bed time (since it was only 5 pm to us!), we tried to go to bed. The next morning was rough, but we were up and moving by 8:00! We made it into the city, immediately went to Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace (where we saw the changing of the guards), Harrods, The British Museum (where we saw the Rosetta Stone and pieces of the Parthenon), rode a double decker bus to the London Eye, and then rested for a cup of tea and a cupcake at a cute cafe before heading back to meet Brooke and Tate for dinner at their local pub.  It was a WHIRLWIND of a day! I had a blister on my foot since John's pace is about twice as fast as mine. I was basically running to chase him the whole time.  London was so great! I really think it is my favorite city, but then again I haven't fully experienced Paris yet….we shall see.  We are in Paris now in our tiny hotel room with a spotty internet connection ….more to come on Paris later. 

Cheers! (And as John says in EVERY country he is in "Good day, mate!")

Shawna and John

Here's some pics of London so far….  


Behind us is the London Eye. It has huge glass bubbles that hold like 20 people each, and you can see the entire city. It was awesome.

John with a Lego Buzz at Harrods.  

View of Big Ben, Parliament and a little bit of Westminster Abbey from the London Eye.

Me at Tea Time!  

Westminster Abbey 


More to come. I took a lot of pics on my camera, but forgot the cord!  :(

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for blogging. Keep it up. I'll live vicariously through you! Love you. Have a WONDERFUL time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep truckin' Allevatos - it appears that all is swell!

    ReplyDelete