Sunday, July 10, 2011

Little Brother

So John and I went to Charleston this weekend for less than 48 hours for Sam and Whitney's wedding.  It was actually perfect timing because we came home on my brother, Connor's birthday. So I was able to go to dinner with my family to celebrate his 18th birthday!  Being a  new blogger, I was very excited to hear that my family had been reading my posts!  Connor ended up making fun of me for how into it I was.  He also made comments that made me think that he will not be regularly reading my blog...!! (tisk tisk)...So I thought if I paid tribute to him in an ENTIRE post..he would be more willing to keep up with the blog.  So Connor Lawerence Tyree, in honor of you turning 18...here's to you!

Top Ten Memories of Connor:

10.) Is it too cliche to write about when he was born?  Well, it is quite a story. Like clockwork every year on Connor's birthday either Mom or Mawmaw Billie will reveal this story.  It is a miracle story... I won't ruin the mood that I am trying to set here (i.e. funny, sweet, nostalgic, embarrassing etc.) but if you want to hear it...ask Lisa.  Ps. I was a GREAT big sister.

9.) Connor basically sucked a bottle until he was 5.  He would ask for anything to drink in the bottle...it was actually quite common to see him drinking coffee from a bottle.  I would consider this a bit young to start trying to acquire a taste for coffee, but hey...he definitely defied the saying that "coffee can stunt your growth"....what a load of crap.  Connor is like 6'2" now.

8.) Almost nightly, I would be scared to sleep alone.  I would sneak into Connors room, belly crawling on the floor, jump up next to his bed and scream so he would be scared and startled.  Then I would quickly ask him "Since you're scared...do you want to come sleep with me?"  Worked like a charm.  Ps. I was a DEVIOUS big sister.

7.) We vacationed in Hawaii one year when Connor was about 9. Considering the time difference, Connor did not adjust well and he was sharing a room with Bobby and I.  We made him sleep in the bathtub (It was a jacuzzi so it was PLENTY big). We told him to stay in there and play with his action figures until the rest of us woke up. 

6.) I don't think Connor had a speech impediment, but for some reason he said his L's like "ya".  One evening at Grandma Jo's house, Connor kept requesting for "CANTA-YOKE". Dad and Mawmaw could not figure out what he was saying...for about 20 minutes he kept repeating "CANTA-YOKE, daddy!!!"  I come sauntering in the kitchen, and dad asks me what the heck Connor is asking for. Connor looks at me and says "Sissy...CANTA-YOKE...please!!"  I walk over give him a piece of CANTALOPE and walk away. 

5.) One peaceful evening, Connor, Dad and I decided to go fishing at a nearby pond (Connor was about 5).  I wound up to cast my line, and then I realize it's caught on something and never actually made it into the water.  I think Connor's blood curdling screams was a pretty good indication....my hook was stuck in his back.  Dad had to rush him into the emergency room to get it removed.  After he came back and I apologized, all he could say was "They had to cut my FAVORITE shirt to get to the hook...thanks a lot."  

4.) When mom was potty training Connor, she basically told him he could pee anywhere outside, so he wouldn't risk the chance of peeing his pants as he ran to the potty.  I remember countless times when Connor would be playing out back of our house, drop his pants and pee on a tree.

3.) When I was leading Young Life in college, we would go on our fall weekend retreats at a place in Webster County, WV. A couple times we shared the weekend with Charleston's Young Life.  I remember the first time Connor went with Charleston when I was leading for Morgantown.  I was so excited to sit in the same room with Connor as the speaker shared about how much Jesus loved us. I had given my life to Christ my freshman year of high school at a Young Life camp, and to know that Connor had that same opportunity just warmed my heart. I helped Ben Tuel lead a song that weekend (Now I know I don't have a great singing voice, so I'm guessing he asked me to help because of my stage presence..haha).  I saw Connor in the crowd just laughing at me/with me, so happy.  

2.) Connor getting pretty teary eyed....ok crying (sorry Connor) at my wedding.  He and my dad kept saying after the wedding "there was just something in my eye..."

1.) I used to brag all the time when we were little that I could "beat Connor up"...until the day came (as EVERYONE warned me it would) when he grew into a grown man's body and took me down.  Now he can just pick me up and throw me around like a barbie doll.    We used to say that "the hulk" was coming out in Connor because you would just see a slow rage grow when he got mad ... I don't dare mess with "the hulk" anymore...

Hope that wasn't too painful!



I wish I had an old picture of Connor on my computer...he in all his glory - bowl haircut and spiderman pj's. What a cutie.


It's funny, Connor and I are 5 year apart in age.  They say that if kids are raised more than 4 years apart, they are treated like "only children"...but Connor and I have a surprisingly close relationship.  He has the ability to make me laugh and then 5 seconds later make me cry.  We know how to push each other's buttons...which can get pretty ugly. But I love him so much!  And I think he loves me...  We are so similar in so many ways, especially our humor...we can make each other laugh when we are in the worst moods. So anyways...Connor - I can't believe you are an adult now...to say that having you as a brother is entertaining is an understatement. Can't wait to add more memories to this list.....will you read my blog now?

2 comments:

  1. Lisa is such a softie! If this is your top 10 list of memories of your brother...I'd HATE to see one on "UNCLE DONNY"!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    Great memories of Connor!! He's still the prettiest little boy I've ever seen.
    LOVE YOU!!!
    -UNCLE DONNY

    ReplyDelete